A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Holiday and thoughts for 2014

 It is the time of the never ending holiday and lots of family time (I've been off of work for a week)
So that means a search for some really cool matching outfits
Looking at my beautiful children and how happy they are helps to push that boogie man under the bed.
You know, the one that you can imagine that you don't have to face when you see how happy your kids are



Why can't it stay like this?
Why does this funny-faced little boy need to try so hard to do things?
Why does this funny little girl need to feel that we pay more attention to her brother than her?


Surgery is one of my big boogie-men
And I'm not sure if 2014 will bring any surgeries (I can imagine a couple of potential ones that are always in the background, TC or ACE/mitronoff or of course the shunt), but right now I can't imagine handing this little boy over to a surgeon. I'll scream and shout and cover my face lalalalalala.

But even if it may not be in 2014, it will still happen, one day.


I think that this will be a tough year for Nickolas. The year of realization.
We've had some tears and some heart breaking crying
When Katheryn got skates for Christmas, "I want to skate" (even though he doesn't really know what skating means... or like being cold)
"I hate my wheelchair, bring it to the hospital for someone else"
"I don't want to walk, carry me"
"I can't..."
"I don't want to..."

And I just hope that I'm dealing with it all the right way


But I also know that this year is going to bring some great things for Nick.
He can count to 39, write his own name (and not just NICK, but goes all the way to NICKOLAS)
He's saying "I want to do it on my own" and knowing Nickolas, that is the key!
We are working with his PT on some crutches

This is not how I imagined this post to go. I thought I'd just show off lots of cute pictures, and then it just got away from me.
But all of these things go away for a little bit more when my kids snuggle up, wrap their arms around me and we get a big huge family hug!
Take that boogie man!

1 comment:

  1. Boogie men are evil!! We are dealing with a lot of the same things. I feel like this is a big transition age for our boys. The realization that they are not the same, that they do things differently. The surgeries. Oh, the surgeries. Stuff of nightmares.

    They are gorgeous pictures, in the meantime. ;)

    ReplyDelete