A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Mom and Baby Group!

So we went to our first mom and baby group at the spina bifida clinic at Kids Rehab. It took us about an hour to get there, an hour and a half (rush-hour) to get back. But I'll definitely go again.

There were 5 other moms there, 2 others with infants and 3 moms with toddlers. It was great to go out and be with other moms and kids with the same problems we have been facing (and will face).
The first hour was with physio, occupational therapy, nurses, volunteer and social work. It was a bit of a free for all with playing and seeing how the kids have been doing. One of the kids, 2 years old, was completely paralyzed from the waist down, and it was just amazing seeing him move around and play. He was such a happy boy. It’s wonderful the resiliency these kids have.
For the second half all the moms left to have our own meet and greet. The online forums and everything are great, but I really do like the face to face as well. When the hour was over I wish we could have stayed longer. The next clinic isn’t for another month.

I would be holding Nick and he would just be staring up at me. He did like playing with another little girl his age. Just staring - his first girlfriend. He really is a face-man. You give him a toy and he doesn’t care. You stare at him and he loves it!

Physio also gave me some more things to do with Nickolas. We are working more on tummy time. When I put him on his tummy he doesn’t like it, so I’m working more on that. He can lift his head, but he doesn’t like to. Nick can move his feet but I don’t think he feels all that much. If I hold him up with his feet on the ground he doesn’t really push against them. Sometimes he does, but I don’t think he feels it. So we are trying to teach him what his feet are, and getting him to play with his feet.

I need to take a video of Nickolas in the morning. He wakes up and talks and talks to him mobile, he also talks to the lion on the wall above his crib. About half an hour in the morning I can get out of him. This allows me to get Katheryn ready in the morning. She doesn’t like getting changed at the moment. Screaming when I take her pj's off. But once they are off and she's getting dressed ... sweet and smiling!

Did I mention Katheryn’s new favourite word - MINE!

1 comment: