A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Taking care of yourself

Sometimes when your whole world circles spina bifida you need to step back and take care of yourself.
Thinking about spina bifida, blogging about it, reading about it, surfing/foruming about it. Let alone the actually living spina bifida that becomes second nature. The medications, diet concerns, cathing, daily physio ect. It's what we do, it's what we love, it becomes our life and we don't complain. We would (and do) everything for our child.



But we need to take care of ourselves as well. How can you take care of your child and your family when you don't take care of yourself.
I do take some me time. I have my blog, I have my journal. I have my time that I'm at work. But I was still feeling stretched really thin!

I had really, really, really wanted to go to California for the Spina Bifida Conference this coming weekend. I asked for the week off, my parents were going to go with the kids and me, we were looking at hotel rates and Disney rates.
But it was not to be.
In February we decided that it wasn't a good time to take a vacation. The kids were still too young, they wouldn't have fun, it would be very stressful. So I decided that 2011 was not the conference year for us.

And I decided to do something for myself.


You see, I was not happy with my weight. In fact, I was very, very unhappy with it. My knees hurt, it bothered me to carry Nick up and down the stairs. I stepped on the scale and realized that I weighed the same amount as when I was 6-7 months pregnant with Nickolas. And THAT WAS IT! I was done.
No more fighting with my weight. I was going to do something about it.

And I did. I committed to a program, generally stuck to it and saw results. (Herbal Magic - great support, concentrate on fresh food and minimal frozen foods, but expensive)



38 lbs and 37 inches later I am happy that I did something for me.
I am wearing clothes that I was afraid to throw out. I reached the bottom of my 'will fit into again' jeans pile! In fact, they are loose!

And today I did something I'd been thinking about for a long time. And was too chicken to do something about. And I feel so good about it. I feel young, I feel sexy (well, mommy sexy maybe).

I never realized why those weight loss BEFORE and AFTER pictures look so different. How can those be the same person? Look the hair is a different colour, length ect. Now I see it! It's not just a couple of pounds. It snowballs, one little change leads to another, and suddenly you are chopping off your hair and wearing a dress instead of sweatshirts and jeans! And liking it!


These pictures where taken today before and after I chopped all my hair off! AHHH!

I'm not saying that the key to happiness is to lose weight. And I'm not saying that I'm happy now because I've lost weight. Weight is not an issue.
It's more along the lines of doing something for myself.
Making myself feel better.




I hope you've got to the end of this post without thinking I'm bragging or showing off myself too much!

I would like to challenge all of my spina bifida mommies. Take a moment for yourself. Read a book, get a manicure, go shopping, eat something healthy or (eek!) exercise.  But do it for yourself.
Spina bifida will NOT take over our lives.

And for all of those mom's who are in California for the conference! Have a fun, safe, stress-free vacation, meet new/old friends, and learn lots!
Relax on the beach for me! And give Mickey a hug!
I'll see you next year!!

6 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!!! I honestly said to Jeff after the zoo that you looked a lot smaller than I was expecting. Your hard work is definitely showing. You are most definitely entitled to brag!

    I had a similar kick in the gutt last week realizing that I was the same weight I was a year ago and I no longer have a 5 month old to show for it! Ugh. BUT I am doing awesome this week, I am so motivated (and even moreso now!) and I'm already dropping. Just you wait - we'll be a couple of swank mama's next time we meet up ;)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Amanda! Taking time for ourselves as mommas is so important and you are probably a much better mom because of your decisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, you look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome! Congratulations on doing something for you and sticking to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally ROCK that hair cut, sooooo cute!!

    And I so agree with you and taking time for ourselves. As a single SB mom (and dad gets 0 visitation!) I find it even harder BUT I do take time for myself. I go to weekely bible study in an adults only group, I make sure and to hang out with friends at least 2 times a month without kids, and I often go on prayer walks without my kiddos. That being said, I KNOW I need to find a way to do more for me, and am currently scheduling a weekend scrap booking retreat for a friend and I... something I have not done in the last 4 years (since becomng a single mom) and need to do for ME again!

    Great post and great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete