A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Finally a post! and an anniversary

First of all I want to just say that I have not been ignoring my blog. I’ve hardly posted anything in the last 2 weeks, but in the meantime I changed my photos and layout. AND I’ve been composing blog posts in my head, along with taking lots of pictures for various posts. And I have been editing 3 posts that are just not ready to be published yet.
FYI when I finally post those - I'm going to adjust the dates so I don't have 3 or 4 posts all in a row - so look back at the end of November.

So those are my excuses and I’m sticking to it!

In the meantime I’ll leave you with a couple of pictures.


If I ever need to think about how far we've come - this is definitely proof!

We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary of Nick's shunt placement (at 3 weeks old). I blogged about it, but Nick was home for 5 days before we were headed back to the hospital to be readmitted and to have brain surgery in the morning. I remember it like it was yesterday...

In the scheme of spina bifida related surgeries, the shunt placement is probably the easiest, but the most stressful. Alot of stories of shunt placements are just like ours, finally getting home, getting settled and then needing to return to the hospital. The actual surgery only takes 1 hour. But I learned that a one hour surgery does not equal a one hour wait time. I waited for 3 hours in that horrible waiting room, exhausted and worried and just waiting for Nick's name to appear on the computer screen before we were told he was in the recovery room. My father waited with me. I probably would have been a mess without him.
We did find out that alot of the waiting time was trying to get another IV in Nick (he went through ALOT of IV's). But at the time I had no idea. Now I know for next time - because with spina bifida there is always a next time. I really didn't like his shunt scar - now it's covered by hair and no one knows it is there. And Nick bounced back so well from the surgery.

We were told that if he can go 1 year without a shunt revision (needing to change the shunt - usually because it gets clogged or infected) then chances are it would last. What last means, I am not quite sure. But we had it a year!

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!! It's so funny (haha?) how amazing the one year shunt anniversary is and how no one but us shunt mama's will ever get it. I am counting down to King making his anniversary (fingers crossed!). Congrats on the milestone! Here's to another handful of years with only an adjustment needed when he grows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow amazing and how good it feels! Nick is such a cute little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just hit two years with a good shunt, and I couldn't be happier!! YEAH FOR GOOD SHUNTS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new blog header collage! So cute! I love kiddos all bundled up and snuggley! :) We just celebrated Jet's 1 year shunt placement too! Did you name his shunt yet? That's a fun way to celebrate it. ;) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete