A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Physio, physio, physio - Back to Basics

I have a feeling I’m going to have a lot to say about this in the coming weeks.

We’ve been looking at our options after being ‘dumped’ by Grandview. Yes I know that is not what actually happened. But that is how it feels, so I’m going with it.


We met with Katie, our infant development worker (who we LOVE) and she brought us information on private physio. Today we went to mom and baby group at the SB clinic at Bloorview. We have assessment by the RN/PT/OT/SLT/SW (I think those are all the letters) for an hour, then parents leave for our own private education and group. We end up socializing and talking amongst ourselves for about half the time and squeezing in some education at the end. It’s almost as if we need another hour to socialize and get to know each other. (Actually we talked today about meeting at noon for lunch and socializing before group).

At group today I had the opportunity to talk to the physio at Bloorview. We talked a little about what he was doing (because he really refused to show off anything). We talked about what went on with Grandview, and how I feel we really need to get more physio.

I left kinda feeling like we have been totally on the wrong track for the last couple of months. And I’m not sure how we got off track. OK that’s not true. I do know where we got off track. We tried to skip some steps.

So I have some goals, some plans to follow up on. We are going to work A LOT at home. A LOT more than we have been doing. Thank you Gretchen for helping me realize that we will be doing the actual doing of physio (commenting on my post when we got 'dumped'). So a break doesn’t actually mean no physio, it just means more effort on our part. As long as we have some guidance of what to do and not to do.

So our plan. Standing frame, standing frame, standing frame (I guess I just feel like repeating myself a lot today). Work on lie to sit. Consistently. As well as hands and knees, and kneeling. All of these I know Nick can do. It’s just getting him to do it more often. Also more ball work (core, core, core).


These are basic. And they’ll lead to the next steps. Stronger legs, stronger core, more confidence. So that when he’s standing at the couch, he’ll be stronger and more ready to take those steps. Because then he will have some basics behind him.
I think before we were concentrating more on the standing (which is great), but not enough on making sure he had the skills to back it up.

It reminds me a little about learning how to play piano. I took piano lessons when I was younger. I enjoyed it, mostly. But what I really wanted to do was play my Les Miserable and Phantom of the Opera. So once I took a couple of years of lessons, played lots of very basic stuff and learned how to read music. I could read the music, and could play some of the music and stopped lessons. I can play sorta well with my right hand, and only 1 or 2 songs with my left hand. I can do a couple of the songs but that is it. I am not a very good piano player. Pretty much, because I skipped a bunch of steps. The basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment