A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Walker try-outs!

So after making 'walker' my favorite word to use at physio therapy, we finally had a model to try out today!

We tried to ease him in a bit at first.
Shiny red like a fire truck!!


Wow, look at those wheely things!


This is kinda cool!


OK, now what does it do? 


You mean I go in it?!
THE HORROR!!!!


Oooooh, bubbles!


AHHH! This thing moves too?!!!



I was happy to finally get him into this. It had alot more support than I thought that it would. And I can't wait to get my hands on something that we can take home and 'play' with.
We talked about the logistics of this, and I really wanted Megan to use her lunch hour or something to look for one we could take home! She said she'd work on it. I kept bombarding her with questions about when we can get one we can take home, how do we do it, when do we order our own, what is the process, can we start it now?
I do know we have to wait. I do know that we have to test a couple so we know what one will work the best with Nick, so it will last. But when she told me that it might take 2-3 months for ADP (government funding) to come through!!! I kinda wanted to stick with whatever we could get faster!!
You'd think I'd have a little more patience by now!
Next week we are trying another one.

This is a Rifton walker by Pacer. Not quite sure what that means yet, it has alot more support than I thought it would. But pretty much all of the supports (chest, crotch - oops 'pelvic') can come off to leave more of a basic frame once he's able.

Who knows what we'll actually end up with. But this feels like such a great step forward!

Hopefully Nick will tolerate the rest of the week a little better - tomorrow MRI (under general anesthetic), I'm a little nervous about that, and I'll be glad when the day is over. Thursday is a consultation at the Conductive Education at March of Dimes. Hope that goes well. And Friday is my birthday!!!
So trying out a walker is just the start of an exciting week! Then we can just sit back and relax (until our next PT on Monday)



3 comments:

  1. Cute pictures! Good luck this week and Happy Birthday! :)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the MRI. Happy early Birthday. I am alot like you when it comes to "new" stuff for Landen... NO PATIENCE. I want it right then and there. I want the coolest wheelchair, the most flashy walker(even though he doesn't even know how to use his legs yet) I want it ALL! I often say "God grant me patience... but HURRY UP" =) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and the walker is like me and the dynamic stander - I! WANT! IT! NOW!! ;)

    Holy, those pictures made me LOL when he got all grumpy! Poor kid, that's too funny. Good luck with your consultation tomorrow, I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete