A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Appointments, appointments... and ... wait for it... more appointments!

Our summer has been very, very busy!
I feel like I've been a little lax on the updating. Sure I've posted a bit, but not as much about what we are doing. Why? Pretty much because we are doing it!


We started physiotherapy at Grandview in June.
We continue to see Katie our infant development worker.
We continued with our private physio.
We had speach therapy with Katheryn
We had an MRI at Sick Kids
We followed up with neurosurgery at Sick Kids
We saw a developmental peditrician as part of a research study
We saw our regular pediatrician for a weight update (27lbs 9 oz)
We had the spina bifida clinic (split into 2 days)
We had the Conductive Education consult
And finished the summer with 2 weeks of intensive Conductive Education


We also had trips to the zoo, a number of weekends up at the cottage, a family reunion and a whole lot of birthdays (and 1 birth-day)! Oh, and I continued to work part time, luckily I have a great work partner and we were able to schedule around each other well. The joy of 12 hour shifts is that I work less actual days (or nights), you are just wiped out when they are done.

When I look at my calender of July - I have 5 blank days. 5!!! And August was the same!
Kyle claims I bring it on myself - and I guess I do.

But its summer time! Its the time to fill the days with fun things to do when you have time off. And fill the rest of the time with what you need to do!


At the end of the summer (OK I know its just the end of August and not actually the end, end of summer) I want to look back (and have the kids look back) and think that they had alot of fun with parks and zoos and lakes and cottages. And at the same time we have Nick in tip-top shape - completely checked out.
Neurosurgery cleared us for 1 year!
Spina Bifida clinic cleared us for 6 months.
We are nearing the end of our block for Grandview Physio. (and we have a borrowed walker for now, and will order one at our next visit)


We are investigating some other therapies. We have our private physiotherapist and a second private physiotherapist that is also an osteopath (and fantastic!) and we are going to continue the conductive education (weekly). So September is looking slightly less busy, but still productive. And some recreation activities.

I'm amazed at how productive and great Nick is doing!
In May Nick was not transferring lying to sitting. And now!
Pulling himself up to stand, climbing over a single step. Kneeling really, really well. Kicking up, down, side to side.

He has a couple of words too (weird words, and he'll say them for a couple of days and not repeat them). And when we try to get him to say something - he gives me a look, like he's saying - Ha! You can't make me and I will grace you with some words when I feel good and ready!


Hugs all around!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way! We've been so busy DOING that I haven't had a time to stop and make note of hardly any of it. It's a good feeling though. Our boys are doing so many new things. Onward and upward little guys! We are just now entering our couple months of non-stop appointments. Always 2 months behind you guys ;)

    ReplyDelete