A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reading and Kids Books

I like books.

I read all the time, and I'm encouraging the kids to read as well.

Katheryn has been bringing home 'borrow a book' that she reads every night. You are supposed to read it to her the first night, but we usually just give it to her and she reads it.

Nickolas has been bringing home a book too.

He needs alot of encouragement, but he can read the book too. He cries and he says can't read it, he wants me to read it. Some days he'll read it, some days he won't.
But I know that he can.

But reading isn't all about work. I read to the kids too.

Since we have an hour of time every single night we have a whole collection of books that are in our bathroom. The 24 books we opened for our book advent gave us a really good base to start from.

But 2 weeks after Christmas when we were still reading about Santa, I needed to pull out some new books. I kept the wintery ones, but put the Christmas ones back on the shelf. This is our current collection.


I pulled out our ability books to read. Books that talk about spina bifida or hydrocephalus specifically. Nickolas really likes these ones and I'll read whatever he wants me to. Our collection has grown through the Spina Bifida and Hydocephalus Association of Ontario who give books to members. And I'm always keeping an eye out for new books.

 
Wally the Wheelchair is about a child's wheelchair and from the perspective of the wheelchair. The wheelchair has a name and the little boy is finally able to move fast in it. I had thought that this book might help Nick like his chair more. Nope he wants us to take his wheelchair back to the hospital to give to another little boy. He is not interested in naming his chair at all.

Zoom is probably the most popular book. It's about a girl who is trying out different wheelchairs and wants the fastest and biggest one there is!

Isaac's Back Adventure is about a little boy's back and all of the things that they do together, including going to the beaching and fighting an evil monster 'lipo'

Lemon the Duck is about a duckling that needs some extra help to move around, and a group of students who work together to make that happen.
 
Detour Ahead of a medical book made into a children's book. It is a about a little boy with spina bifida who has a shunt malfunction and surgery. I didn't think Nick would like it, but he does. It allows us to normalize his shunt so he is just like the boy in the story (only without the malfunction)
 
Just Like Any Other Beagle is another medical book made into a children's story (actually both are written by nurses I think). It is just about hydrocephalus, and a doctors visit to check his shunt. But he can still do everything all the other doggies do.
 
There is a whole collection of kids books. And I'm always looking for more. This is a good link http://www.sbhao.on.ca/programs-services/youth/kids-resources
 
I'm still looking for the perfect kids book! I'd love to hear of any other recommendations

No comments:

Post a Comment