A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Passport to School

I'm getting ready for Nickolas to attend school.
Grandview Children's Centre offered a program called  'stepping stones to school'. It is a 4 part series to prepare your child (and yourself) for school. I was somewhat concerned that it would take a month of 2hour classes to make me comfortable withing getting ready to send my kid to school, I still signed up.

The first week freaked me out a bit. Which is usually the case when you are in a group with a bunch of other parents, some of who have been very proactive and you realize that you weren't as ready as you thought you were!
After a quick visit the next day to Nick's future home school I was feeling much better that I only filled in a 5 page document and not a 20 page document about Nick's special needs.

One thing that came out of the first class was to make up something, a passport, to have at the school and classroom teachers to allow them to see your child as well as a quick resource to understand needs, strengths and some medical info.

This is what I came up with.



It was actually pretty easy to do.
Once I got the format down. I picked what pictures I wanted (and I wanted to show lots of pictures). And what colours go where.
I want to show that Nickolas is a fun little boy, with a great imagination and is happy and healthy. Sure he comes with some extra's in the classroom. But he is well worth those extras.

I had no idea that this would be such a good idea, but I am so glad that I did it.
It was fun and creative. I posted the document here as a pdf, but I have the work document. If anyone wants to copy and use it for their own child, please email me and I can share it.

1 comment: