A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Our next challenge


So i thought that we were ready for our next challenge...
Which meant a shopping trip!


I wanted to make it a big deal. While hoping I wasn't setting Nick up to fail. But hey! Why can't we explore underwear options! Yes I said Underwear!
 
Nick got his choice, of anything that said 100% cotton (instead of spandex mix).


And they kids were not as excited as I was.
 
The next weekend we were home all day (no running around) and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to try them out. He has been dry all week and clean. I looked at some different options to control the leaks he is still having, ended up with a little maxi pad for a trial


So it was time.
To put away the diapers and have some real underwear on
 

Happy Face!


The diapers don't really bother him (yet). A lot of it is me. And I recognize that.
I really dislike the diaper flap that comes out the back of his pants. I fold them down and around and it works, sometimes. But it just screams "diaper" to me and I don't like it.
See - no diaper flap!


But we live with it, and like I said Nick doesn't really care. He calls his diaper his underwear and no one is allowed to say that only babies wear diapers.

At the end of the day it was a Mommy-Fail.
It was a cleaning the basement day (while the kids played) and the 'I'll only work on one little area' before potty time turned into an overflow and a change of clothes.
Nick didn't really seem to mind/notice except it was no longer a PJ day.

So now I'm hesitant to do it again.
It drives me crazy that pee was never ever the issue. He didn't leak and had a large capacity bladder, but poop was the issue. Now we have poop handled (knock on wood) for 90% of the time, but we have little leaks (or big ones if we go too far past cathing time).
I bought some poise pads to hopefully help, but I don't want something bulky either.
I think I'll try again, but I don't want to set him up so he feels that he failed.
So for now it is balancing the line between diapers and underwear.

 












1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing - there was a commercial for this https://www.depend.com/guard-your-manhood/#home as I read this post. Made for men/boys who leak. Maybe they'll be what you need?

    ReplyDelete