A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, March 4, 2011

|Accessible Parking

So today was the day. The day I decided to fill out the simple form for the parking permit. For the simple sticker that will go in my car window. But in truth it isn't very simple.

It was something that I always had in the back on my head, oh yeah one day we will apply. When we need it. I had thought in 5 or 6 years, you know it's for (lalalalala) wheelchair parking. Maybe we would never need it!

Then I started to learn more about it. It is for more than wheelchair parking, it isn't disability parking (like I had originally titled my blog - even though I didn't want to). It is accessible parking. A space that is closer and bigger to make things more accessible, easier.
It isn't supposed to be a token for a disability. It isn't supposed to be a sign saying someone in this car is different. But that is still something I am working over.

But I decided that today I needed help. Accessible parking would mean it would be easier to carry my 27lb (and only getting bigger - faster) child around. That there is that extra room for the stroller. And while I am still not sure if I will use it, or where, or when, I will have it. I will have it when all other toddlers are toddling with their parents into the store. I will have it when other children are tugging at their parents hands to run across the parking lot. I will have it when I am juggling my two kids and stroller (or full arms), because sometimes we do need things to be more accessible.

The application is still the first step. And I am still debating with myself about the need for it. But when I've talked to anyone else in the family (and friends) they are all glad I've applied and see the need for it.
I'm not quite sure if I'm happy that I've already stuck that letter in the mailbox...

8 comments:

  1. I also recently got the form to get the accessible placard. I actually still need to drag myself, Tanner, and all the paperwork down to the DMV to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I found it great too when my boy was jsut too tired to walk all the way across the parking lot to our car. I have to remind myself that walking through the store is a huge journey for him, he dosen't need the parking lot exercise too :)

    And I am not sure about your policies, but here in CA th permit also means I don't have to pay the $30.00 a day parking fee at the hospital too! I figure I am already paying huge amounts for service there, they can comp me the parking with the permit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it's a big help to you! I know it's another emotional pill to swallow, but if it helps it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even thought of getting one yet!! But you're right, it does make sense. At least to have for those days when it really is needed. Hm. Something to think about. Let me know how easy it is. Can you send me the link for where you get the forms? I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promise that it will be helpful and you will be glad you have it when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well anything that can help make your life easier I defiantly say go for it, so great step in the right direction : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it! We can't get one until Caitlin is 3. And she's getting heavy to carry across carparks! If it makes it easier for you, then do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's absolutely a good thing to have. I hadn't thought about it really either - when I did I thought "someday, if we need it". But it makes sense to get it now. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete