A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Monday, March 30, 2015

Reading and Writing

Nick continues to work on his typing.
He has to write out at least one sentence and some sight words and then can also write out what he wants. We set up the computer when he is doing his bathroom routine.


March 13:
Four
Did
Do
Soon
With
You
Ride
Nickolas
I went on the rides.
Katheryn.
Ridding

At school he uses a program called WordQ. It cues what he is typing and he can use the mouse to hover over the word and it will read it out. If the correct word is there he can either click on it or pick the number with it.

March 14:
I want to grow up to be a ninja turtle.
Nickolas Ridding 
Ran
You
Will
This 
Saw 

We did the words a couple of different ways. The sight words he would pick which ones and copy down. That was working on his typing and learning where the keys were.


March 16:
I went to the museum with Jennifer, Devon, Lucas and Katheryn.
I liked the mummies.

But we also worked on sentences; what did Nick want to write about? What did he do today?

March 19:
I went to the movie theatre with Daddy, Austin, and Uncle Brad.
We saw Sponge Bob Squarepants.
Nick

He also liked writing his name, and Katheryn's name. Katheryn is one of his first words that he knew how to spell. One day I was bringing him downstairs and he just started naming off the letters of her name. I had to get him to repeat it before I realized what he was spelling.

March 20:
Soon 
He 
Into
Brown 
Out
I went to McDonalds 

As he got better at the typing I stopped helping him as much with the letters. Instead of asking him what he wanted to spell out and telling him the letters for him to find, we started sounding out his words.


March 22:
I went to grandma ridding apartment
I had an Easter egg hunt

Maddi and Austin came for dinner

I have noticed a huge improvement in his spelling with this. All day we work on spelling like this. And it works, of course, the other way around too. With his reading. Sounding out letters and words.

Our newest word to sound out... and Nick did it successfully... is Booyakasha



No comments:

Post a Comment