A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

More Walking

How better to start the new year than trying out some more walkers.
I think this is walker variation #4.
And it's a forward one. A front walker has been suggested a couple of times, but I was always hesitant because I heard that it was easier to use than the reverse one. And also that it promotes him sticking his bum out instead of standing up straight.
But I was told (and finally convinced) that yes it is easier, but Nick cheats when he is in the reverse one (he likes to rest his bum against the back and not work as hard. And he can't do this.
Also his posture is good and we aren't worried about him sticking his bum out too much. As well, we wanted to get away from the big forearm supports. Because this also lets him cheat but taking weight in his arms instead of using his core.

At first Nick was very hesitant. He was unsure and afraid and just didn't want anything to do with it.
That's fine, so we went on with some new stuff.
Of course he had to walk the whole way without the walker (just with our hands).

We went up these stairs, to a slide (this has 3 sides - low stairs, regular stairs and in the middle a slide). We had Katheryn with us - Kyle and I both went - and she had a great time going down that slide!

For some reason neither of us thought about taking pictures of Nick going UP the stairs. But he wanted the hold the handles (they were a little far apart for him) and step, step, step. Sometimes he'd get ahead of himself. But we were always there.

One time after the slide (when I was out of the room of course) Nick crawled right up to the walker and wanted to walk in it. OK!
I think he likes this one more than the other one.

Of course enough to clown around in it!
 

And of course I'll leave the best news for last (I have difficulty believing it to begin with).
Kim told us that she thinks that Nick will be a walker, but that she thinks that he will eventually be able to walk without any supports, just his AFO's!
YAY!!!
Nick has done so much in the last 6 months I can't believe it! So I don't think that I showed appropriate enthusiasm, but I'm still not wanting to get my hopes up by anticipating what he can do. I want to wait to see what he will show me he wants to do!
But I anticipate it to be an exciting year!


1 comment:

  1. AWWWWWWWESOME!!!!!!!!!! That boy is going to just keep amazing us!!!!

    ReplyDelete