A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Out of the house!

To test Nick's endurance outside of the house, we decided to do a little outing.
Leaving the house I realized that it was the first time I'd left the house since we had returned from the hospital a week before.

So then the question was what can we do that is active (but not too active) for the kids that they will have fun. We decided on a local zoo, The Bowmanville Zoo, which is small and close to the house in case we needed to come back earlier than expected.

They also participate in the Access2 program that allows Nick to get in free (which isn't really what the card is for, Nick is supposed to pay for himself and his attendant, me, would get in for free, but I hadn't found any venues that will let the adult in for free and pay the child price - unless you are the Science Centre and have a pass, then you - with your pass - don't pay and he does. But I digress)

So we joined my sister and nephew and decided to see some animals. I hadn't been there before, but the kids had with my parents. As soon as we pulled in that was all they were telling me about.

"This is the zoo we went with Grandma and Papa, I got to ride the tea-cups, I got to see reindeer, that is the gift store, can I get a toy, can I ride the tea-cups, can I see the reindeer. Reindeer-reindeer-reindeer!" And then Nick took a breath so Katheryn could talk too
This is the boy that didn't talk for 2 years!

There were lots of animals to feed.
Katheryn was very brave and didn't have any problems feeding the animals. Sticking her food right into their mouth

Nick wasn't as brave, and just interested in watching Katheryn feed the animals.
As we walked around the zoo more, Nick started to get more interested in feeding the animals and by the end of the day he was ready. But he was still afraid to feed them with his hands, so he threw the food in. (Which I totally understand)

We went to the amphitheater for a show. Waited for 20 minutes to find out that there were stairs. There wasn't any signage or anything that said how it was or wasn't wheelchair accessible. Nick really wanted to see the show, so we left the chair and I carried him up a flight of stairs. During the show they mentioned that the doors on the ground level were for wheelchair use only (would have been nice to know).

After the show Katheryn found some rocks to climb.

Nick really wanted to go and climb the rock too!
So between me climbing the rock, and Auntie Laura pushing from below, we got Nick up on the top! I was worried with the pulling/pushing his tummy would be hurt but he was good to go, and so happy he got to climb the rock like his sister!

Katheryn came up again for a picture. But the rock was so steep, and shaped kind of like a triange, so there was no ledge so this was as close as the 3 of us could get.

There was still the reindeers to see and to ride the kiddy rides.
The reindeers weren't exciting, there was 2 gates that we closed, so you could see them in the background but not get close enough to feed or throw food at them. But Nick was satisfied.

There was some nice foliage, so I wanted to get some pictures. This is how impressed the kids were about that plan

Then Auntie Laura got them laughing. She was jumping around behind me. Trying to feed the 'animals' by pretending to throw animal food at them.

That definitely got them laughing!

Afterwards it was time for the rides.
There was one person manning both rides (the tea-cups were broken) so all the kids got to ride one ride, then get off and ride the other ride.

We were gone for about 4 hours.
Nick was tired when we got home, but didn't nap and was good just having some cuddles and watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the TV.

The next day we decided to go out for lunch and the toy store.
Nick's appetite hadn't really returned yet, so I wasn't expecting him to eat a lot. But Kraft Dinner was on the menu and he was good, he wanted grapes to go with it. And he ate all of it.

We were taking some funny poses in the restaurant and they wanted to take some pictures of me too
The kids were really good sitting by themselves one one side and I got the whole other side to myself

Afterwards we went to the toy store and spoiled the kids a bit. That is one thing I've noticed about the summer, Kyle and I can't seem to say no to Nick or Katheryn. We gotta snap ourselves out of that!

Nick walked around all day with his walker. That is what he wanted to do.
He was really good and had lots of energy at the toy store, and afterwards we ran into the grocery store quick. Nick did not want anything to do with his wheelchair, everything was walker, walker, walker. He started off good, but towards the end he hit his wall. He didn't want to walk to the cash or the car, he only wanted to be carried (not going to happen with a cart and groceries, walker and 2 kids). So we slowly, with a lot of fussing, made our way back to the car.

Nick gets tired more easily, and I've noticed that he wants to be upright more (with his walker instead of canes or crawling). But I am amazed at his recovery. This kid just had surgery 10 days ago!

MACE related, we have the foley taped to his belly and Nick is always touching the end. We have it just hanging (taped and capped) under his shirt, but you can still see it... if you are looking. We also have a gauze over his belly button, taped just at the bottom because there is still some discharge as it is healing.
But none of that has held him back from the activities over the last 2 days.
Tomorrow it is back to daycare and work (for me)
He will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment