A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, December 30, 2011

An Ottawa trip

The kids and I had the opportunity to go to Ottawa for a couple of days after Christmas.

The trip up was a little eventful.

Packing for the kids and I after a busy Christmas then trying to miss the storm that was coming.
Meanwhile I have what I'm thinking is an eczema attack to my hands and feet, and something like heat rash or something?! (I did a google search before I left didn't leave me with any answers)

After a 40 minute stop in Tweed to go to the bathroom - not impressed! Come on Tim Hortons - seriously a 2 stall bathroom for a major stop from Ottawa to Toronto; where the child change table not only blocks a bathroom stall - but it is also in front of the doorway - with about 20 people in line behind me! So not impressed!
This is where we usually stop in the summertime, but these facilities are just not up to par!

We eventually got to Ottawa (well, really just outside of Ottawa).

When we got up past hwy 7 there was snow!
Actual snow on the ground!
Katheryn has been asking for snow for weeks! She wants to make snow angels and throw snow balls. We saw the little flakes of snow on the ground and Katheryn was so excited!

Little did she know what was waiting for us!



We stayed with my cousins Phil and Joy and their 3 kids.
I think everyone had a great time. Doing nothing.


That first night there was a little exciting. I realized I forgot all of Nick's catheter stuff at home. And that I really should get to a walk-in clinic, because I did not have eczema! I had a very contagious virus that luckily my cousins had all had before and that meant they couldn't catch it again.


So besides doing nothing, getting alot of rest and being outside (until we froze in -20C weather) and stocking up on tylenol and advil, they had a great train set that the kids kept playing with, taking apart, making changes and putting back together.



What makes a better family get-together than kids playing with toys in the midst of everyone catching up!





After a relaxing 5 days (extended because of more potential weather) it was back home to reality.
Luckily I wasn't driving - my parents were able to drive me home and help with the kids (my hands are still not 100% - I'm told the virus only lasts 10 days)
 This was some of the beautiful roadside views we had.
This picture doesn't do it justice. Snow covered trees! Something that I love the see in December - not so much in February!


We all had a great time in Ottawa, visiting and catching up.
I hope we can plan more visits soon!

1 comment:

  1. YIKES!!! Forgotten catheter stuff and big scary rashes are not two things I'd envy. Glad it didn't stop you guys from having a good trip!

    ReplyDelete