A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Monday, February 20, 2012

What's new?

Last family day we had some big accomplishments - STANDING!


I will always, always have a special place in my heart for this holiday!

This family day we are a little lower-keyed. Just so much has happened in the past year! We were just beginning to stand then, now we are walking with the walker (or holding hands), wheeling with a chair (calmly), climbing up stairs..


... and our newest accomplishment (and something I had as a goal for physio) climbing down stairs!


I'm not too sure if this is a good thing or not.
Yes it is. I know it is.
Nick can climb up those stairs like it's nothing. I turn around and he's upstairs getting into trouble with his sister. Then she comes downstairs for something, and there he is at the top of the stairs crying for help.
So we've worked on giving him the knowledge and ability to get down the stairs himself.
The slow way.


He's already learned the fast way - and got a black eye and some scared parents in the process.
He'll still start to go down head first, and then we have to remind him to turn around and go down bum first. I imagine it is difficult for him. He can't see, can't feel when his foot is on the step and yet he still does it.

video

His language is also our greatest challenge.
Sometimes I think Nick is joking and other times I wonder.
Does he know his colours? Is he screwing with me?
He still calls everything blue. Does he thinking everything is the colour blue?
No means yes. What about counting?
We've been working on counting 1-10, sometimes I think he gets it. Other times I'm not sure. Again, he gets stuck on some numbers. Calls everything four, six. And smiles that little smile of his!


But like looking back at last family day. And look at us now, I need to look back at 6 months ago, even 3 months ago! Nick wasn't saying anything last summer. He was making the motions with the supportive walker. Not even close to taking independent steps!
And no words. No mommy, (Or ma, as he's saying now).


So this family day I want to sit back and watch my family be together. And be amazed at just where we are now.
Tomorrow I can worry about something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment