A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thanks Bernard!

Happy 13 month anniversary Bernard!

If you have no idea who I’m talking about, you /can read here where I was trying to decide on an appropriate name for Nick’s second shunt.
I thought about celebrating the 1 year anniversary of the shunt, but that didn’t work out so well last time. When Nick had to have a revision at 13 months.

So 13 is the new 12! Seems fitting for a Friday the 13th baby!

After reading the post from 13 months ago, I am more calm with the shunt right now. It`s never far from my mind, but it hasn`t been on the radar lately (and I`m really hoping I am not jinxing myself). I haven`t measured his head in a while, we are cleared by neurosurgery for 1 year and Nick is behaving like himself.
But at the same time, when Nick wakes up in the middle of the night uncontrollably crying and upset, I mentally pack my bags for the hospital. But when a dose of tylenol and the morning comes and everyone is fine again I feel much better. That being said, I have emailed Nick`s neurosurgeon 2 or 3 times this past year.
I know the day will probably come, but I`m hoping that it`s in the far distant future.
So Bernard is welcome to stay off the radar for a very long time.

I saw (adapted) something today that is very appropriate:

You can`t scare me,
My child has had brain surgery.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! We’re putting on an online live Q&A with Dr. Levitt from Cincinnati Children’s Hospital about fecal incontinence related to spina bifida, on February 22nd, 2012 at 7:00pm ET. If you’d like to participate in the event, you can RSVP here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2912706985. If you’re interested in hosting the event on your site or blog and would like some more info, please contact me, John Martin at john (at) partnershub.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Ain't that the truth! If we can get through brain surgery (twice!) then really, what else is there? Congrats Bernard!! Hope you hang out for a long long long time!

    ReplyDelete