A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, April 24, 2015

Epcot, princesses and pirate ships ... day 2

The kids were missing some things at school. Yes some school work, but also some fun days. One of the days was Crazy Hair Day! So I came prepared with some hair chalk and we got crazy! We even added some purple to Grandma's hair! (And packed it in my toiletry bag, so we actually had it... still no luggage... and no more clean clothes)

We told Katheryn about her surprise... Lunch with Princesses, and so she wore the princess dress she got yesterday (and of course her mouse ears) and Nick wore his Prince outfit too (we left the sword at home).

Epcot wasn't that busy. We went early, we were going to have a late night so I wanted time to go back to the hotel for a siesta.

We did the Finding Nemo ride first. It was cute, but the kids liked the aquarium and information area. I got to be eaten by the shark while they were exploring.

The gardens are very bright and fun, Katheryn and Papa were pretending to be fishes!

Another ride that came highly recommended was the Soaring ride. I totally agree! It was amazing, it is a ride simulation of flying over California (I think, I forget...) and the kids all loved it! It is high on the list of our favorite things.
Then we went on another ride (that I thought we had time for) that was a boat ride that took 25 minutes! 25 minutes that we did not have because then we had to race through half of Epcot to make our lunch reservations for noon.

It was at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, in Norway, where there princesses will come to visit your table and mingle with you. I was a little worried about the traditional Norway food. But everything was excellent! (Except maybe the price, but hey, we got to eat with Princesses!)
I highly recommend the meatballs

When we came in, we got to have a picture taken with Belle and have her sign our autograph books. But she wasn't actually in the dining hall. While we were seated each princess came to visit our table, talk with the kids and sign autographs.

There was Snow White, Jasmine, Ariel, and Cinderella.
Ariel was the favorite! She got right down on level with Katheryn and Nick and interacted with them. They also each had princess voices, Ariel had a funny bubbly voice.

Katheryn loved it! Nick really enjoyed it too!
There were lots of kids there, and so many girls had princess dresses on that I was so glad that Katheryn bought one and she could wear it.

We knew ahead of time which princesses were going to be at the lunch, and Katheryn's favorite (Aurora) wasn't going to be there. So after our excellent lunch we headed off to France to meat Aurora.

We got there just as she was finishing. And they said they would be back in 30 minutes (each princess has a handler that talks to you). So instead of going anywhere else, we decided to just set up camp where we were and then we would be first in line.

It got really hot, and the original line was all in the sun, but on the other side of a little garden area she would be in, it was all shade. Since we were the first in line, we just went in the shade on the other side, and people started lining up behind us.
Papa and Nick took a little break in the shade, and Katheryn made a new friend while we waited.

Then Katheryn got to meet her favorite princess! Aurora, who is better known as Sleeping Beauty. Katheryn was so excited that they had matching dresses

And Nick was very shy around her as well, but she got right down to talk to Nick in his wheelchair.

After meeting Aurora, Katheryn was ready to take off her heavy dress! I can imagine why the Princesses need to take breaks through the day, just to get out of the heat!

In Epcot, France is the opposite side of the entrance. Pretty much the farthest away from the entrance. We did have a FastPass for another ride, and we missed our time.
But we took our time to walk back. There is a Garden Show at Epcot through the month and they had lots of characters made out of bushes.

We did find some places for some photos too!

We stopped in some shops on the way back. I found this little British store that was full of Dr Who stuff! Of course I bought something (only a Who-geek like me would understand), and the bonus is that it meant I actually had a clean shirt I could wear

Katheryn got a matching Princess shield and grown and sword to Nick. So that meant we had everything we needed for some knight-flights!

We went back to the hotel early because  we still had a busy night ahead of us!
We had a couple of more rides that were on our wish-list, but we decided that a rest was more important (we also missed the crepes in France that were on my wish list as well, but we still full from lunch).

When I was doing all of my research about Disney, I thought that it was very girl-oriented and I wanted something for boys. I found a blog post about a pirate ship adventure called Pirate and Pals Firework Voyage. I found that it was a bit difficult to find on the Disney website, but when I found it I had to call Disney directly to book.
I think I made these reservations in February. It was only available a couple of nights, and they assured me that the boat was accessible (and it was). Nick went in walker and was fine.

I was worried about being there on time, and it was at one of the Disney Hotels. So we got there super early and ate dinner in their cafeteria, and then played with some of their decorations while we waited.

Because it was a fireworks show, it didn't start until late.
Everyone got a pirate bandanna while we waited and they had some activities and colouring to do.

In one of the rooms they had a desert party, with pirate songs (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates) and 2 special guests. Captain Hook and Smee!

Nick said that he didn't want to see Captain Hook, but eventually, with Katheryn by his side he did see Captain Hook and Smee and got their autograph

Everyone was divided up into 2 different boats (Captain Hook boat and Smee boat) and then headed out to the dock.
Each boat had a guide and ours was great! He was so entertaining for the trip and talked to every family. Nick and I sat at the back, in a raised area that his walker could go on. We actually had the best seats in the house... or boat!

The fireworks were great! I am not sure what the show is like if you are in the park, but this was fantastic (another favorite of the trip), it wasn't just fireworks, but it was a whole show with music and everything.

And we were far enough away that it wasn't too loud for Nick. He really, really enjoyed it. And the 2 of us cuddled and listened to Disney and watched a beautiful show in the sky and it was perfect.

After the show was done the boat took us back to the dock, we played some quiz games on the way back and Katheryn won a pirate ducky, and every kid got something from the treasure chest.
When we got to the dock there was someone special waiting for us! Peter Pan!

We got to wait (in line of course) for a chance to see Peter Pan (because we had Nick in his walker we were at the end of the line). I hadn't brought any of the line-waiting stuff I had in my Disney bag, but all the kids at the end of the line entertained themselves.

Nick asked Peter Pan how he got rid of Captain Hook, Peter Pan told Nick about how he tricked Hook by hiding treasure on Skull Rock and then taking his ship with all their treasure.

The kids really liked Peter, and he was very fun, cheerful and child-like. He told the kids stories about how he would trick Captain Hook and Smee.

It was a perfect day!
Except of course for the luggage situation.

When we got back to the Hotel around 11pm I really hoped that our luggage would be there! It had been 48 hours by this time.  We had over-reached all of the clothing we had with us, and I did not pack any bathing suits in our carry on.
Katheryn was very upset and cried that she wouldn't be able to go swimming!
Needless to say, when I got back to our room and still had no luggage, I was back on the phone and leaving another unanswered message and then online chatting with someone who said it was in transit and they would call me back. After 45 minutes of waiting, with everyone else asleep, I went to bed.
Hopefully we would have luggage in the morning.
I did leave a message with the front desk that we did not want anything to be delivered to our room in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment