A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Day 2 - Morning Frustration

Nick had a better night than the night before. They weren't moving him as often, about every 4 hours. So he was able to sleep more without pain. And I slept better as well.

When the doctors rounded I asked about sitting up. But the ?resident said he should be flat again today, up to 30 degrees only for eating. Nick was not very happy about that and started crying. It took a while to get him calm again. All he wants to do is get out of bed. He tells me "Mommy, I don't want to be here" and it breaks my heart a bit.

I can see him getting frustrated. He didn't want the surgery, he thought everything was fine. And now we did the surgery and he is in pain and not able to move and get out of bed. And he didn't even want this!
I tried explaining that afterwards he will be able to be stronger and run faster and not fall down as much. It doesn't mean that much to him.
He also doesn't want to move back and forth, because it hurts. I have been trying explaining to him that it is important for him to move. But I can see him getting frustrated and feeling that he is not in control and no one listens to what he wants.

I am hoping that once Katheryn and Kyle come he will be feeling better. Right now he is frutrated.
But I think our pain control plan is working better. He is getting oral morphine around the clock, and tylenol and his nurse control NCA helps to pre-medicate him before he moves.

Its funny. As soon as I wrote this someone from the pain team came around. Even Nick says he is feeling better today and is less sleepy as well.

Dr Rutka also came around. He said that Nick can start to sit up some more (and we will follow his direction over the resident). But only for short periods of time.
He also said that antiicipated discharghe his mid-week next week.
So our 3-4 days, turned into 4-5 days and then into about 6 days. I packed for 5 days so it shouldn't be a problem. But if it is Saturday and he hasn't even sat up yet, I'm glad we aren't going home on Monday.

In the meantime, this is my view




No comments:

Post a Comment