A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Normalcy

Things are normal, we have a rhythm. We've hit our stride. Spina bifida is not the first thing we think of everyday, or the last thing every night.
I'm not quite sure when that happened. But it happened.

We have a routine now, that part is new.
Nickolas is actually on a nap-time routine! Yay!!! And he is sleeping more than 10 minutes at a time - sometimes I can even get an hour... or (yay) 2 hours! I've probably jinxed myself now I know.
Maybe the routine is what has helped me feel more normal, that I'm able to anticipate our day. Get out in the world, enjoy the last days of summer.
Not that we stayed at home before, I was just finding I'd look around and all of a sudden it was 4pm and time to get supper ready.

Normalcy has developed. What do we do with Nickolas that we didn't do with Katheryn? Not so much. We play the same games, sing the same songs, go for the same walks, play with the same toys.
Nickolas is less mobile. He's got rolling down pat, but not enough to go to where he wants to go.

Our days are cuddling, playing, diapers, baths, eating and cooking. With some outdoor walks or parks thrown in for good measure.
Yes the diaper changing involve cathing and the eating involves medicines and outdoor time involves careful monitoring of temperatures and finding cool shady areas. Oh yeah and playtime involves physio... but shh don't tell Nickolas he's working!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I love that feeling that life is just flowing and feeling absolutely RIGHT! Thank you for posting these feelings cause it reminds me to be thankful for these days as well - when things feel normal and you can just enjoy your sweet family - and put that SB card in a drawer for a while. :) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing? This time last year you probably thought life would never be "normal" again, but it so is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love routine and normal!

    Have you ever seen this quote? It's one of my favourites:

    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day, I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill - that's a great quote!

    When I was pregnant I thought we'd never see normal again!!

    ReplyDelete