A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Changes

Changes are coming. And they are supposed to be good.
We got a call yesterday saying that our name had come up for the wait list at Grandview (our local kids rehab centre). This is 15 minutes away from us, as opposed to the 1 - 1.5 hour drive to Bloorview where the spina bifida clinic is. This is the drive that I have been making at least every week to go to weekly physio appointments.

It's worth it, I really like Kim, our physio (I think I might have written about her before). And yesterday we were even talking about AFO's [ankle foot orthodics - braces for the ankle and foot] and a standing frame.  
Kim and I have discussed that there are various beliefs about a standing frame. Either waiting until children are able to stand, or helping them to stand to give them the feeling of being upright and the social connotations associated with being able to 'stand'. I like the idea of introducing a standing frame earlier so that Nickolas is not always lying down, being held or sitting. We discussed starting the process of measuring for AFO's before I go back to work in 2 months.

I am worried that this change, being called up from our 8 month waiting list is now putting this in jeopardy. We were getting things started, from my perspective giving Nickolas some independence and now this is being threatened. And I don't like it!

At the same time I recognize that maybe it isn't being threatened. Maybe the PT's at Grandview will be on the same page. Maybe transition will be easy and seamless.

We go on Monday to see PT [physiotherapy] and OT [occupational therapy] at Grandview. So I guess I have to wait until then to see how things will progress.

In the meantime, this is the newest thing that Nickolas has done.
It might not seem like a big thing, but he is rolling over to something and then reaching to get a toy - a big deal! And he's starting to attempt to investigate obstacles.

Oh yeah, and today was a better day. {if you have no idea what I'm talking about - see yesterday's post}

3 comments:

  1. Look at him reaching up like that!! Go Nickolas! That's awesome exploring!

    Good luck at your new centre. Fingers crossed that it's all smooth and simple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, and I love that big dog snuggling him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got caught up on both posts - I love your posts - I love the honesty with which you share both frustrations and blessings. Nickolas is doing SO great - he is so happy - he is so adorable - he is so blessed to have a mommy like you who loves him so much. :)

    ReplyDelete