A Journey with Love and Laughter

Read about our family as we journey through life as a family, with siblings, school and spina bifida, and lots of fun and laughter along the way!

Friday, January 7, 2011

It's working!!!

Nick's shunt surgery was very successful yesterday. I am on the computer on the unit right now - so no pictures.
They were able to just fix the proximal part of the shunt (the shunt on his head) and the distal part (the part going into his belly) was fine and they didn't need to change anything. The surgeon was very happy with the results. Nickolas was in the OR for about 1 1/2 hours, but then was a little slow waking up from the anesthetic, so we didn't get back to our floor until midnight (we left a shift change - 7pm for the surgery).
Last night I was able to get a little bit of sleep, again in the chair next to the bed. We are staying in the observation room, not quite sure why, I think staffing or room issues, not Nickolas issues. The nurses are super nice, so we are fine with that.

Nickolas slept all last night - very, very soundly. A little too soundly for my taste but I think it was the last 2 days catching up to him, and the anesthetic wearing off. Today when he wasn't sleeping he was busy being grouchy.
He did get to eat a little bit in the morning, but then he had to be npo (nothing to eat/drink) in case he needed to be sedated for the CT. The cat scan that was supposed to be done around noon. Which turned into 3pm, which turned into 5pm when Nickolas would not settle and sleep. Finally they did it with him fussing and little bit, but they were able to get the shots they needed.
I swear the surgeon almost beat us to the room. To tell us the good news! The shunt is perfectly placed! Yes, he used the word perfect!

So as of this minute Nickolas is busy munching on a cookie, finished his milk and is once again showing his pearly whites off to everyone with his super-duper smiles.

Thank you for EVERYONE for their thoughts and prayers. They really mean alot to me.
I don't know how I've made it through the last couple of days, but I think that when I get home I am laying down in bed and not getting up for ANYTHING for at least a couple of days!

Hopefully tomorrow I will post some pictures so you can see Nick's smiling face for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad to hear that good news, sounds like he (and you) are doing great!

    ReplyDelete